Thursday, December 12, 2013

2013 Day 9 - Special Treats

I have LOTS of things I would call Special Treats for Christmas, so I'm going to go with the 1st one I think of...and the one that's been in that position for the longest time....TURTLES!
Boxes of lovely TURTLES!  Regular, original, vintage, chocolate, pecan, caramel...turtles....and IN the box shown above!  Now its hard to find them in these boxes.  The last time I bought a box, it looked fine on the outside, but each turtle was individually wrapped and they honestly tasted WRONG!  They were too soft or too hard or too something!

The reason that these are a special treat is because for as long as I can remember (even before Hobo's arrival)...Santa would bring us kids 1 unwrapped gift and each adult would get a box of Turtles (and he'd also leave a stocking's full of little wrapped gifts...for all...even adults).  It was THE only time we had Turtles and I'm sure we'd go through at least 1 box before supper - Yum-O-Rama!

This tradition continued until I no longer lived at home, but there was always a box of Turtles to munch out of for Christmas morning/afternoon/evening/night!  Now, my father has diabetes, so we don't whip out as much chocolate as we used to, and because they just don't taste right, I'm not sure we've had a box of them around for Christmas for about 6 or so years.  Even so, every year, I look longingly at the Turtles at the store (and as recently as this morning), but the boxes are different and I'm sure they are individually wrapped and taste differently, so, my special treat hasn't been indulged in awhile.

Turtles, Turtles, Ra, Ra, Ra,
Turtles, Turtles, ha, ha, ha
MMMMMM, I Love Turtles!

http://youtu.be/X4IyoI77j1Q

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you make your own? You could tweak the recipe until they were as you remember. The box may not be the same but you could probably make something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

    Gee - it sounds pretty hard to make (for me, at least, I'm not to good in the kitchen)

    ReplyDelete