Tuesday, December 24, 2013

2013 Day 23 - By the Chimney

I still use the stocking I got when I was a wee girl.  My mother made it out of felt - there's a tree and presents and my name embroidered on the top.  She made an almost identical one for my brother.  She also made stockings for my father, Granny and herself.  They were plainer - just had their names on it - Dad, Mom & ME (LOL!)  The funny thing was my mother intended the ME one for her, since she made them, but because us kids figured Mom meant her...even though they called Granny MOM...so ME became Granny - which actually worked because her name was Marjorie Ellen (ME)!

We didn't have a fireplace in our house so we had the 5 stockings spread out in front of the Christmas tree.  If you look closely, you'll see stockings behind the boxes of turtles.
My Granny LOVED the stocking stuffers the best - probably because there were lots to open and most were perfumes, soaps, bath salts, bath beads...and candy...the stuff she liked best.  One year my dear cousin Brian came for Christmas and I made HIM a stocking!  Gee, I had forgotten about that, I miss him

I brought my stocking with me to our house and kind of "made" stockings for each for DH & MIL.  I had purchased the kiddo's (actually purchased TWO at the same time so if we were lucky enough to have another kid, they would be similar and there would be no complaining) and had his name embroidered on it.  I guess I didn't actually "make" the other ones - I purchased the stockings from Michael's and decorated them with pre-made felt Christmas shapes.  BUT...I did cut out their names on felt with my cricut.


Every year my mother says I should get myself a bigger stocking...because its so much smaller than the ones used for the others at our house for Christmas morning - but NO WAY - that's MY stocking that my mother made for me and its staying!

No comments:

Post a Comment