Sunday, December 8, 2013

2013 Day 4 - Greatest gift

The ONE gift that stands out in my mind from my childhood was our 1st cat.

I was in grade 2 and starting to think that maybe this Santa business was a yarn....my brother is 4 years younger than me, so he was still a total believer.  We got up Christmas morning, ran out to the tree to see what Santa brought and there was an open, brown box, with a cookie cooling rack on the top.  We went to look inside, and there was a tiny, fluffy, black kitten laying on a blanket.

I couldn't believe my eyes!  I think I stood there stunned and re-looking into the box to make sure what I was seeing was what I was actually seeing!  Dad was totally against having a pet, even though my mother wanted a cat.  My mother couldn't drive, so I knew that SHE couldn't have got the cat AND my father was so against it, that I "knew"  he didn't do it....so there MUST be a Santa!!  Oh My...what a day!

We named him Hobo and he was the center of our Christmas that year.  We both couldn't leave him alone, poor thing.  My mother would get him and hold him every few hours so he could have a nap away from our crazy playing with him.  I don't remember what we actually asked Santa for that year...it might have been a cat, but I truly ONLY remember that Santa brought us a beautiful little kitten that we all instantly loved!

He had the loudest purr and the softest fur - it was actually black only on the tips and when you patted or brushed him, the underneath layer of fur was a pale grey - and you wouldn't know it to look at him - he looked totally black.  Over the years, he put up with a lot of crap from us.  I dressed him in my doll clothes, I teased him and cuddled with him - he was lovely.  He was the house protector - if he saw any animal walking near the yard, he was right there growling and hissing and all his fur puffed up so he looked 3x his size (lol).

I miss good old Hobo - the Greatest Christmas gift of my childhood! 

Not too many photos were take of dear Hobo, but here he is - not as a kitten (obviously)

Here I am playing with Hobo beside our Christmas tree!  Based on the hair length and shape of glasses, I'm still in Elementary school in this photo

No comments:

Post a Comment