Friday, December 13, 2013

2013 Day 12 - Merry Mentors

The person that most emulates MY remembrance of Christmas is my Granny.

She lived in Saskatchewan and would come for Christmas and she'd take turns sleeping in my brother and my room...it was so fun.  We'd pick her up at the train station and she'd be LUGGING the heaviest suitcase...full of her home made fruit cake (which only Dad liked....gotta love Mom's bringing her son HIS Christmas Sweet Treat every year)!

She was always talking and laughing and doing silly things...not on purpose, funny things just always happened to her.  We'd look at the tree and gifts underneath it...and guess WHO would be searching through them - shaking, squishing, sniffing....SHE would!  She always seemed WAY more excited about Christmas than anyone I knew.

Being the older sibling, I was clever enough to count the days from when she arrived to Christmas Eve and nicely declare that she could bunk with my brother 1st...aren't I sweet....NOT!  I knew darn well that would mean that I could have her ALL TO MYSELF in my room on Christmas Eve!  We'd giggle and talk and stay up too late...my parents would come to my door and tell us BOTH to go to sleep....LOL! 

We'd get up at the crack of dawn and run to get my brother out of his room (he was always awake waiting for us) and then off to the tree to see what Santa brought - we weren't aloud to touch anything until my parents were up...and my Granny lead the charge to wake them up!  LOL!  She'd turn on and off the light in the hallway, talk loudly outside of their door; she'd sing "wake up" songs or Christmas songs...on and on...it was the best fun ever!!  She appeared to be MORE excited than us...but I'm sure she was at least as excited as we were.

She wasn't all anal about decorating and Christmas songs and stuff like I am, but my exuberance for the whole experience definitely came from HER!  If she was still with us, she'd be 103 and still as loveable as ever. 

Thanks Granny!

This is my mother (by the organ) and my Granny (on the right) with our 2nd cat - photo is probably from around 1985 (can't remember when they got rid of the nasty orange stuff in the house)  NOTICE the 3 Turtle boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment