Friday, December 6, 2013

2013 Day 2 - Countdown Memories

Today's task is to chose a memory from Christmas's past - during the anticipation of the big day - meaning...something that happened leading UP to the big event.

Putting up the tree was always the official clue that Christmas was actually coming.  Mom and Dad would struggle carrying the tree box upstairs and while Mom would setup the tree, Dad would test the lights.  Inevitably, there would be tangled lights and burned out lights and everyone would get so frustrated.  BUT, to me, once the tree was up and the lights were being strung, Christmas had arrived.  Opening all the well loved boxes of GLASS ornaments (I'm old, these are ornaments my parents got when they were married in 1962), putting the favorites up in "prime"  viewing position, painstakingly putting on TINSEL, one strand at a time - LOVED it - MISS it!!

Being sight challenged, one thing that I loved (and still <3 to do) is to turn off the lights, take off my glasses and GAZE at the tree.  One thing that good-sighted people can't appreciate is the look of a lighted Christmas tree when you can't see!  All the lights turn into big, blurry circles and appear to sparkle, even if they aren't blinking lights.  AMAZING!  It looks kind of like this - but for me, the circles are larger and they kind of have star like qualities rather than solid, round circles.


Once I was old enough to do a lot of the work, Dad only had the haul up the boxes and Mom and I did the rest.  THEN, since I really was the only one that liked doing it, I eventually did it all myself...including hauling up the tree.  I don't know HOW I had the energy!  Every year they would go out for the office Christmas party and that would be tree day!  After supper, I'd haul everything up and start assembly.  I'd ALSO start baking!  Can you believe, baking AND putting up the tree at the same time.  I'd get something into the oven and then I'd go and work on the tree - I'd be watching "White Christmas" on TV and it would be the best Saturday night ever.


By the time my parents came back from their Christmas party, the tree was up (lights, decorations, and even tinsel) and there would be at least 2, maybe 3 different kind of treats baked and ready to go!

Where, oh where did all of that energy go?


No comments:

Post a Comment