Tuesday, December 10, 2013

2013 Day 5 - Written Communication

Today I'm going to reflect on Christmas cards.

My mother sent out numerous cards each and every year.  Each card had the un-printed on portion filled with a note (the WHOLE card, not just a sentence)....and for relatives, she'd do a hand written letter (at least 1 page - front and back) AND wrote the addresses on the envelope.  It took her FOREVER!

She still does cards, but now Dad prints off labels for the envelopes and she only writes a sentence rather than a long letter...because now she just calls people to talk to them rather than only conversing at Christmas through a letter.  I suppose long distance rates have declined considerably over the years!

I don't really remember when I started sending my own cards - but I think it was when I was in university.  Like my mother, I would write a long note in the card and longer letters for the special friends that lived far away and I didn't call on the phone (I'm not much of a phone person anyway, so some of those people that lived closer, would only hear from me at Christmas each year).  I would always start to compose the note in advance and then take the last week of November off to shop, decorate and pound through the cards.  Cards were always purchased on boxing day for 50% (or more) off so I'd be ready for the following December.

So, I guess I'm in the minority in having cards being sent out and I still continue with this tradition - although I don't hand-write anything.  I'm so sad that it is going by way of the dodo...although, there STILL are a lot of boxed cards available for purchase...who is purchasing them, I wonder...because we don't get many physical "cards".

No comments:

Post a Comment